Carpenters and joiners combine many different practical and visual skills with knowledge of specialist materials and techniques to produce first and second fix works along with joinery products such as studwork, doors, stairs, floors, mouldings, kitchens, roofing, windows, mouldings, door frames. Carpenters and joiners use their skills and knowledge to construct, erect, finish and repair timber structures. They must study drawings, make calculations and select suitable materials to meet design requirements. There are distinct types of carpenters and joiners.
- Bench joiner – usually based in a workshop producing joinery products such as doors, frames, window frames, stairs.
- Site carpenter – usually based on-site installing items such as floor/ceiling joists, studwork, stairs, mouldings, doors, linings, roofs.
Who is this suitable for?
This course is designed for both new apprentices moving into a carpentry and joinery role on a construction site or for existing employees wishing to upskill and gain recognition for their skills and knowledge.
What will apprentices learn?
This programme covers the following subject areas:
- Carry out a range of job tasks including measuring, making out, fitting, cutting, splicing, finishing, positioning and securing.
- Use, maintain and store hand tools, power tools,and associated equipment.
- Install door and window frames, door and hatch linings, floor joist coverings, straight partitions and straight staircases.
- Install doors, ironmongery, service encasements, wall and floor units and fitments, cladding and staircase components.
- Erect inclined roofs with gables, joists, roof coverings and roof components.
- Repair or replace frames, mouldings, doors, windows, door and window ironmongery, roofing components, guttering and downpipes and window components.
Geason Training’s flexible delivery and dedicated support
Once the learners are enrolled on the programme, they will be assigned a Skills Trainer together with support from a Student Engagement Coach and English and Maths tutor where required. Our apprenticeships are delivered using various proven learning methods:
- Coaching and mentoring
- Shadowing appropriate managers
- Online learning e.g. webinars/blended learning via Smart Assessor
- Teaching of theory – lectures/power point presentations
- Workplace observations and practical tuition
- Skills Development Workshops (Monthly or Block Release to suit your requirements)
- Technical Briefings e.g. new equipment or technologies
- Project work, simulated exercises and role play
- Career planning
- Master Classes