Carpenters and joiners use their skills to make structures and fittings such as window, doors, stairs, furniture and shop fittings from wood and wood materials. They shape and join wood using a wide range of tools including hammers, planes, chisels, screwdrivers, power tools and cutting machines. Carpenters and joiners must study drawings, make calculations and select suitable materials to meet design requirements. There are distinct types of carpenters and joiners.
- Bench joiner – usually based in a workshop making things like doors, window frames and roof beams.
- Site carpenter – based on-site fitting door handles and locks, or installing roof or ceiling joists.
Who is this suitable for?
This course is designed for both new apprentices moving into a carpentry and joinery role on a construction site or for existing employees wishing to up-skill and gain recognition for their skills and knowledge.
- City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Wood Occupations- site carpentry
- Apprentices will be required to have or achieve Level 1 English and Maths and to have taken Level 2 Maths tests prior to the completion of their Apprenticeship.
What will apprentices learn?
This programme covers the following subject areas:
- Carry out a range of job tasks including measuring, making out, fitting, cutting, splicing, finishing, positioning and securing.
- Use, maintain and store hand tools, power tools,and associated equipment.
- Install door and window frames, door and hatch linings, floor joist coverings, straight partitions and straight staircases.
- Install doors, ironmongery, service encasements, wall and floor units and fitments, cladding and staircase components.
- Erect inclined roofs with gables, joists, roof coverings and roof components.
- Repair or replace frames, mouldings, doors, windows, door and window ironmongery, roofing components, guttering and downpipes and window components.
Geason Training’s flexible delivery and dedicated support
Once the learners are enrolled on the programme, they will be assigned a Skills Trainer together with support from a Student Engagement Coach and English and Maths tutor where required. Our apprenticeships are delivered using various proven learning methods:*
- Coaching and mentoring
- Shadowing appropriate managers
- Online learning e.g. webinars/blended learning via Smart Assessor
- Teaching of theory – lectures/power point presentations
- Workplace observations and practical tuition
- Skills Development Workshops (Monthly or Block Release to suit your requirements)
- Technical Briefings e.g. new equipment or technologies
- Project work, simulated exercises and roleplay
- Career planning
- Master Classes